Thursday, June 19, 2014

Shane Falco, Aunt Jemima, and the San Francisco Chinamen: A Few Words from a Lifelong Washington Redskins Fan.

I grew up in the great state of Texas, specifically San Antonio (HOME OF THESE GUYS). I moved there when I was 11, and my immediate family still lives there. But I'm originally from Camp Springs, Md, which is located just outside of Washington, DC. For this reason, and a few others, I've been a lifelong Washington Redskins fan. I was enamored with the guys in old lady dresses and pig snouts, loved singing the fight song with my mom, and was always amazed at how damn fast Darrell Green was! The Redskins were an institution, a way of life, a gold standard. As a kid, I never really thought about the name, but I also didn't think about the absurdity of the name 'Indians' either, because I was a kid. So yesterday, various sources reported that the Washington Redskins trademark would not be renewed, due to a strong political movement hoping to force a name change for the franchise. As a near 30 year old man who has never even considered an allegiance to another pro football team... I really have no problem with it. AT ALL.
But no see, this is cool, cuz it's like... but see...
I've heard very, very strong opinions on the subject. "Why now?" seems to be the prevailing opinion. People are ranting about the new found sensitivity on America, how we seem to cower and concede whenever someone deems something offensive. In this case, my response is "ok, so?". There is nothing so damn important about the Redskins name that it can't be changed to something less derogatory. It's not as if player salaries drop, it's not that you won't be able to buy new team gear, hell, it's not like you won't be able to wear your old gear! But what's so wrong about adjusting? It's really similar to reparations. Now, I'm in no way saying the name of a sports team holds a candle to slavery, it's reach or it's ramifications. What I'm saying is, one of the major problems people have with reparations is that in admitting wrongdoing, you worry about opening up the floodgates to having to PAY WHAT YOU MAY ACTUALLY OWE. People don't want to feel responsible for past wrongdoing, and want you to act as if everyone started with equal footing. Any acknowledgement that that idea is silly puts people in a position to have to come up with solutions, and they'd rather just ignore valid complaints. Nothing new here, but it's the prevailing truth in America.
DC FOOTBALL LEGEND BRUH.
As a supporter of a franchise that's only had FLASHES of success since the mid nineties (like these guys, only more honest about it) I for one am ok with a name change. What have the Redskins been since like '95? Average? Below average? This isn't the Pittsburgh Steelers or New England Patriots calling audible, it's a franchise with more losing seasons than 10 win seasons since i was a kid. I love the football team representative of the DC/Maryland/Virginia Area (DMV for those in the know)regardless of their name. Shane Falco? Big fan of that guy. Also the Art Monks and the Mark Rypiens, Even the Michael Westbrooks and Stephen Davis's, right on down to the RGIII's and the Brian Orakpos (hook 'em) on the team. I'm not tied to any name that people may rightfully deem offensive. Wouldn't affect my fandom in the slightest.
Where the 'was anyone offended?' argument goes the hell out the window.
Politicians from all over the country all of a sudden made this their focus, this being the great cause they chose to champion. It'll be interesting to see if people grill them on other things they may deem wrong, and if they fight so vehemently against those things. Am i going to have to switch to log cabin, because well, that damn Aunt Jemima looks like a mamm... nevermind. In the meantime, hail to the Re... whatever. Fight for all DC!

No comments:

Post a Comment