Monday, August 25, 2014

Guest Blog - ALS, Shooting Black Folks as a Year-Round Sport, and Keeping it 100.

Originally titled 'Hand me my wallet, not the bucket.'

One day I was on Facebook, looking for nonsense to mock, when I noticed a bunch of silly people dumping water on their head.  Apparently one individual wanted to make people aware of ALS aka Lou Gehrig disease, a rare yet fatal illness that affects neurons and ultimately muscle control in the body.  The ice bucket challenge basically allowed people to donate as well as nominate others to donate, while dumping ice water on their head. Beyond the inherent humor of watching grown men and women struggle with dumping water on each other, it became a successful fundraiser, leading to 24 million dollars towards ALS research. But of course since this is the internet, it’s also led to a variety of backlash, some warranted, while others being extremely hypocritical and asinine.  Now, I have many flaws, and I embrace the majority of my flaws, but one thing I tried to avoid is the blanket of hypocrisy.  There are few things that bother me more than intelligent people making stupid proclamations to prove a ridiculous point.  Here’s a few that I’ve noticed over the past week, but instead of just listing, I will explain why I avoided them.

I donated to ALS, but I didn’t dump water on my head, nor call anyone else out.  It wasn’t because of concerns of conservation of water.  I’ve heard people bring up the drought issues in the US and the world, as well as stating that dumping water on your head has nothing to do with charity.  Now, I live in a house with 4 bathrooms.  I wash clothes and run the dishwasher multiple times per week.  I’ve taken showers that lasted longer than 5 minutes.  My sprinkler system runs a total of 2 hours daily.  I wash my car.  I’ve gone to Six Flags.  All of these things use far more water than is probably necessary.  And I lose not one iota of sleep over any of these actions.  So for me to complain about the loss of the equivalent of one toilet flush is moronic.  I have no problem with water conservation, but this isn’t Dune, and I don’t see Sting running around in a rubber suit trying to save water - relax.

I didn’t dump water on my head, but it wasn’t because of what happened in Ferguson.  Wait, what?  Yes - there is a sentiment that the ice bucket challenge is not only a silly endeavor, but a tool used by the media to distract people from the serious occurrences of police brutality towards black males.  Let me put the disclaimer that I’m aware of the media using fluff stories to steer us away from important issues.  Having said that, I have to wonder at the sanity of certain individuals.  For as long as I remember, cops have been shooting at black men.  They were shooting at black men when people were debating gay marriage.  They were shooting at us when Miley Cyrus was twerking.  They shot at us while people were concerned about Gaza and Israel.  When people put the buckets down and start talking about Lebron James on the Cavs, they’ll be shooting at us.  It’s not as if Joe Blow was about to donate some money to the Ferguson fund, and then saw a video of Jennifer Aniston with a platinum bucket and changed his mind.  Those who cared will continue to care, and those who didn’t wouldn’t have given a damn in the first place.  Contrary to popular belief, it’s possible to care about multiple causes at the same time.  The media isn’t distracting me from other issues, so I won’t use that as an excuse.  It’s like any other sport - once you know the rules of the game, you can’t complain about being caught out of bounds.  As a black man, I understand at how devise and combative life can be toward us, and I can also understand the human desire to worry about your own problems.  But as a human being and a health care professional, I couldn’t picture myself clowning a cause that donates to a real disease that actually kills people, just because it doesn’t affect me directly.  If someone chooses not to participate then more power to them.  But leave the cops out of this - if they see me jogging in my neighborhood and my sneakers are the wrong color, they won’t check Bossip or TMZ to see what’s up before they decide to shoot me.  Nor will they see if its Breast Cancer Month before deciding to pull the trigger.

This isn’t to guilt someone into giving money.  Charity is about giving to something you believe in. As a human being, you have the right to give, or not to give, to whatever you choose, as long as you’re willing to deal with the consequences.  I didn’t dump water over my head because I didn’t feel like it.  It wasn’t because of water conservation, or Gaza, or the lack of a sickle cell challenge, or any other reason.  I didn’t choose to donate more because I didn’t feel like it. I made contributions to other causes.  I also purchased two soundbars and some weights for my home gym.  I went to the movies.  I even purchased some mediocre hot wings from KFC.  I have no regrets or remorse whatsoever, because I was honest with my decision.  If you don’t want to participate in the ice water challenge because you don’t care about ALS, then go right ahead.  Maybe you don’t want to get your hair wet.  Maybe you rather spend that money on the Essence Music Festival or the new Madden video game.  Perhaps you rather give in your own way without attracting attention or participating in a silly social media experiment.  The reason doesn’t matter, so long as you’re true to yourself.  But let those who choose to donate do so without mockery or scorn.  Don’t bring in any strawmen or hypocritical scenarios to defend your choice.  No need to front for Facebook - it’s 2014, and we’re better than that.

Now if you excuse me, I’m about to participate in some other silly donation challenge.  And I won’t even need to use a bucket for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment