Thursday, January 8, 2009

My city screams ... for their money back.


For a guy who at least tolerated every movie he's ever been to (except The Village, but come on) I was more uspet that I didn't like the movie than at the fact that it was bad. I've been collecting comics since I was nine, and after seeing Sin City and 300, I was certain this would be another hit adaptation. Boy was I wrong. The plot is simple enough: Deceased cop Denny Colt (Gabriel Macht) is mysteriously brought back to life as the Spirit, Central City's all too public masked avenger. He exists as the stuff of every woman's fantasy, particularly that of the police commissioner's daughter and resident doctor Ellen Dolan (Sarah Paulson). Her lover in life, he now exists almost as a shadow to her in the sense that she can never get a hold of him for herself (I mean he's a hero right, so the chickens stay steady clucking) Samuel L. Jackson plays the ultra-flamboyant Octopus, who spends the film toying with the Spirit and revealing the secret as to why he can take so much punishment (i.e. being hit repeatedly with a toilet). We also explore the troubled relationship between The Spirit and Sand Saref, played by Eva Mendez.

The problem with this movie is that it looks great. This movie in many ways outdoes 300 and Sin City, combining the former's brilliant colring wit hthe latters grit. For all of this glitz and glamour, the movie is bogged down by over the top dialogue and misunderstood motivations (double crosses when double crosses don't benefit anyone). If I wasn't out getting my Huey surname on (trust me) this would hav been a complete waste of time... except for that Paz Vega... I mean, it's not like i had'nt seen Eva Mendez's um.. goods before... but yeah... Paz brief time as Plaster of Paris make for at least some good youtube material... Scarlett Jonahsson was good as well, being the character who actually seemed to have some reason behind her actions (school loans anyone?) but other than that and the Wolverine preview this was a waste of good scenery.

Score: 4/10

3 comments:

  1. I think you've found your niche... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The movie was funny. And the village is mis understood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. The Village and this movie was such garbagex10. The only good thing out of The Village, was I got neck during the movie.

    ReplyDelete