Thursday, March 6, 2014

A Week with the WWE Network

I'm a second screen watcher. I'm not sure when I developed this habit, but it's how I entertain myself 90% of the time now. I'll play video games on the TV in the living room, most of the time on mute, and I'll have netflix/hulu plus/ youtube going on my ipad. "Background familiarity" is what I like to call it. I do this so often that I'm almost annoyed at the commentary in NCAA football '14, or the awesome voice acting/sound effects in Skyrim. I'm more comfortable having an old episode of "The Office", or an episode of "Two Best Friends" going while I play my games. I'm also a huge wrestling fan, have been since childhood, so when it was announced that WWE Network would be available as an a la carte service through PC/Mac and mobile devices, I jumped at the chance to second screen my favorite brand of entertainment. Some... "shifting" within my company adjusted my schedule to wear my five day work week starts Tuesday, so I was able to purchase and spend the full first day of the network's availability. As with any new streaming service, there were MAD hiccups from the beginning. I'm 28, so my fondest moments of pro wrestling are the "Monday Night Wars", which pitted Vince McMahon's WWF against the Ted Turner backed WCW. Without getting too nostalgic, to me this was the best mix of athleticism and drama going. My parents wouldn't let me buy most of the pay-per-view events, but with WWE Network, I can watch each and every one for $10 each month as many times as I want! So here on the first day, almost everything outside of their live stream LAGGED TO A DAMN HALT. Shows would cut out for hours at a time ,and you'd have to close the app altogether and remember your stopping point to get back into it. The problem became less and less prevalent each day, to the point where just about everything worked perfectly. I haven't really watched any of the live streaming programs, which consists of "behind the scenes shows" some current events showing matches, and a mix of what they offer on demand. But the sheer amount of things I can go and look up with the easy to use search function is staggering. The biggest thing "missing" at this point are all of the Monday night raw/nitro episodes, but I can understand that being far too much content to deliver all at once. So after one week, I have to say it's everything I could hope for,a great companion to my daily activities/ gaming/ lounging, even though I find myself avoiding all of the Chris Benoit matches, but that's a post for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment